Category Archives: Portola Valley People

Roseann and Bard Bartelle

 

Roseanne and Bard Bartelle looked everywhere around Palo Alto for a house with some land attached, with little success. Then one day, Roseanne’s hairdresser suggested that she contact a Mr. Holden, who had some lots for sale. It turned out that Don Holden had retained seven lots on the property he had just sold [land we call Alpine Hills today,] and they were indeed for sale.

RoseAnn Battelle
Roseqnne Bartelle

The Bartelles liked the view and the thought of being in the country, so in 1955, they bought one of the lots for $8500. They chose a wooded lot instead of the one next door which was bare, built a house, and moved in in 1957.. Roseanne and others formed the Alpine Hills Women’s Club, and she and other mothers took turns with childcare.

Bard and Rose Ann Barttelle
Bard and Rose Ann Barttelle

They loved the beautiful area, removed from the hustle and bustle and stayed until 1991. They then became pioneer residents of The Forum, a place they chose for retirement because it reflected the same qualities they had so enjoyed in Portola Valley.

 

Al Rathbun

The Rathbuns bought property on Corte Madera Road in 1949 and in 1957 moved to Alpine Hills into a house they had designed and built. They had purchased their 2 acres in 1951, property Al believes to be the largest lot in the subdivision. At the time, Golden Oak was paved only to the end of their lot. When they saw a rattlesnake on the road, they wondered how many others were lurking around their property.

Al Rathbun,  January 14, 2010
Al Rathbun, January 14, 2010

During the years when incorporation was being studied, Al carried petitions around the neighborhood, offering explanations about the advantages of local control of local issues and seeking signatures. He became a member of the first Planning Commission in 1964. At the beginning, the commission enforced county ordinances, which he says were lax and allowed almost anything, but they added more requirements as time passed. Even then they worried about the steepness of the slopes. He resigned because of a potential conflict of interest with his business, Earth Systems. He was also a founder of the Alpine Hills Investment Club, which, he says, was a ‘joke” at first, not making much money, but got better and was still in existence in 2009.

Marge Larkin

When the Larkins moved to the Bay Area because Ken was hired by Lockheed, they stayed at first at the Cardinal Hotel in Palo Alto. Marge had the responsibility of finding permanent housing. She toured the area with a realtor, looking for a house with some land and was discouraged until one day, they visited Portola Valley. It was a “spec house” on Valencia that attracted her attention.

Marge Larkin, January 14, 2010
Marge Larkin, January 14, 2010

Ken liked it too, although the steep price, $110,000, was beyond their budget. They liked it enough to take out a second mortgage. After about ten years, they found almost three acres on Golden Hills, built a house there and moved. “We always wanted to look out on land, not houses,” she says. She remembers meeting Sandy McKay and hearing his plans for a swim and tennis club. They were among the first to become members.

Crystal Hopkins

The Hopkins came in 1959 to Alpine Hills. Crystal’s husband told her to go out and find what she wanted.

Crystal Hopkins, 2009
Crystal Hopkins, 2009

She remembers that the view was like a picture. “You could look out and see the water of the bay,” she says. She remembers how bare the land was then, which made the views possible. Her mother kept a beautiful garden on the property, much admired by everyone.

Diane and John Vedder

Diane and John Vedder found Menlo Park prices too high for them when they were looking for a home in 1957. They now consider themselves very lucky to have found their Alpine Hills lot. In three months in 1959, they built their house.

_DSC9538 Alpine Hills_Jan_14_2010_diane_john_vedder
Diane and John Vedder with Crystal Hopkins in the background, January 14, 2010

Peak Lane was simply a chained-off fire road when they bought. By the time they moved in, it had been paved and declared a road. There were no trees at the top of the hills. There was an Alpine Hills Ladies Club for many years, and a group of young mothers took turns running their own day care center/preschools for their youngsters. They particularly remember with fondness the local postman. He knew everyone, took pleasure in delivering packages, never mis-delivered, and occasionally served as bartender at house parties.

Judy and Bob Falconer

When Judy and Bob Falconer were Stanford students, the unpaved lanes of Portola Valley were trysting places for young couples. Later, after they married and were looking for a home, they returned to those lanes. They talked to realtor Gordon Oberg who operated from a little house on the corner of Alpine and Golden Oak. who showed them property. To get up to the property they were considering, they had to get up a head of steam to make it up the gravel road.

Judy and Bob Falconer, January 14, 2010
Judy and Bob Falconer, January 14, 2010

They bought their lot in 1955 and moved in in 1956 when there were very few other houses. They paid $7000 for an acres and a quarter, “a lot of money,” they recall today. Many years later when they moved to Westridge, they were told that their Alpine Hills house was bulldozed and taken in pieces to Pacific islands to be used for other houses. When the driveway was being constructed at their new house, an remarkable Ohlone lance point was unearthed, dated by an archaeologist who specializes in the Ohlone from 2000 BC to 800 BC.

 

Jean and Ted Lamb

When Ted Lamb and his Stanford classmates visited Rosottis’ in the early 1950s, he says it was “wild country” out here. There wasn’t even a road leading up the hills across the road. After a stint in his family’s business, he returned in 1960 to find big changes in the area. Alpine Road had been realigned a bit, with part of a hillside cut away to accommodate the changes. And Alpine Hills had a road. He and his wife Jean bought land a house near the “Stanford Triangle,” that steep, wooded land extending, even today, between Westridge and the northern arc of the Golden Oak semi-circle.

Jean and Ted Lamb, April 3, 2014
Jean and Ted Lamb, April 3, 2014

Eight or nine or ten neighborhood kids would hike through the wilderness to get there to play—building hideouts, having “shoot-outs” and all kinds of fun. Working for the real estate firm of Cornish and Carey, in the early 1960s he learned of an offer by Mills College in Oakland to buy land behind Rosottis’ to relocate their campus. The deal fell through amidst valley plans for incorporation.  Because of so many various proposals for development,  without incorporation, “It would have been a disaster,” he says.

Ilsa Cauble

Although Ilsa Cauble’s husband Dale was a contractor who built spec houses around Menlo Park, she says he was an Oklahoma cowboy at heart. So in 1950, when they found “perfect” land with a pasture for two horses and a stream along the edge, they bought their Alpine Hills property. They made a wonderful riding ring. Sausal Road stopped midway then, and the rest of the way up was a steep hill, somewhat smoothed later by further development. Neighborhood kids would haul big pieces of cardboard to the top, climb aboard, and slide all the way down.

_DSC0399_Ilse_Cauble
Ilse Cauble, May 19, 2013

An operating-room nurse, she worked the 3-11 shift at the old Stanford hospital, now Hoover Pavilion. She remembers being told tales of local quarries from which kids would roll rocks down to Alpine Road for building the stone house at 4141 that was once the Manginis’ Picnic Park and today is home to Windmill School.

Walter and Grace LeClerc

Walter LeClerc first saw Alpine Hills in 1953. He loved the wide-open spaces and great vistas. It was then covered with brush with a few small, scattered oaks. After serving in the army in Alaska, he, his wife Grace, and their 4-month old daughter returned to the land he remembered, bought property in 1960 and had built their house by 1962.

Grace and Walter LeClerc
Grace and Walter LeClerc, a terrific pair with a great sense of humor!

He remembers the willingness of Wells Fargo to be flexible enough with a loan that he could work (he was an orthodontist) three days a week and build his house for three days. One day the LeClerc children were delighted to see cowboys outside, looking for cattle that had strayed. Their property was flat, a rarity in Alpine Hills, and provided an excellent playground. Houses were few, but many had swimming pools, and the owners were generous in sharing. One family was a neighborhood gathering place with a pool and an outside bar. Whenever their outside light was on, everyone was welcome to come by. Even then, traffic was an issue, even though he found it a pleasure to drive to work in Menlo Park, meeting perhaps 2 or 3 cars on the way.

Celebrating Portola Valley’s 50th Anniversary, April 3, 2014

The Sequoias Retirement Community became the setting for the April 3, 2014 celebration for 50 year residents.

It was a grand gathering with lots of comradery as residents shared their remembrances.

This was a multigenerational event.  The children of many early residents who still live in Portola Valley share values of the earlier times.

_DSC4082_PV50th Group
Portola Valley Fifty Year Residents gathering at the Sequoias on April 3, 2014

Mayor Ann Wengert welcomes the crowd at the Sequoias, April 3, 2014Mayor Ann Wengert welcomes the crowd at the Sequoias, April 3, 2014

Former Council Member Sue Crane greets visitors, April 3, 2014
Former Council Member Sue Crane greets visitors, April 3, 2014
_DSC4022 copy
 Nancy Lund, Ann Wengert, Cindie White and Danna Breen, April 3, 2014
Ellen and Bob Mosley, 60 year Portola Valley residents, April 3, 2014
Ellen and Bob Mosley, 60 year Portola Valley residents, April 3, 2014
Dianne Shilling and Mimi Breiner, April 3, 2014
Dianne Shilling and Mimi Breiner, April 3, 2014
Marilyn Walter and Ad Jessup, April 3, 2014
Marilyn Walter and Ad Jessup, April 3, 2014
Jean Lane, April 3, 2014
Jean Lane, April 3, 2014
John and Ellie Garner, April 3, 2014
John and Ellie Garner, April 3, 2014
Ron Ramies gives Carlo Besio a big hug as Nina Else looks one, April 3, 2014
Ron Ramies gives Carlo Besio a big hug as Nina Else looks on, April 3, 2014

Ed Wells and Cindie White share memories, April 3, 2014Ed Wells and Cindie White share memories, April 3, 2014

Sylvia McCrory still beautiful after 96 years will a smile that would warm anyone's heart.  April 3, 2014
Sylvia McCrory still beautiful after 96 years with a smile that would warm anyone’s heart,  April 3, 2014